26.2 Miles of Agony in Vilnius

IMG_1984Every race I have run – with honest effort – has included at least a few moments of agony. Whether in the final sprint to the finish of the high school mile, or while climbing a particularly grueling hill, or in the last miles of a marathon after I’ve hit my wall, indeed, some agony is to be expected. After all, running hard hurts.

Likewise, every race I have run has also included a few moments of feeling strong and smooth, or that clichéd runner’s high, or yes, sometimes even glory. Indeed, a great race, for me, anyway, includes both joyful moments and those that test us physically and, especially, mentally. Without the agony, I know I’m not trying my hardest, and the joy is a reminder of why I put my running shoes on in the first place.

Today, I ran the Vilnius Marathon in Lithuania. And today was different. There was no smoothness, and definitely no runner’s high. There were moments when things were tolerable, at best, and those were fleeting. For the most part, the race, which I somehow managed to finish, was pure agony, from the moment I started.

I had decided to run the Vilnius Marathon last May, when my name was drawn from a raffle at the Riga Marathon for a free race entry. Since I’d wanted to run a fall marathon anyway, and at only 3.5 hours from Riga, Vilnius seemed like a great choice. I’d heard great things about the city and M. and I thought it would be a nice time to get out of town and visit.

Although I’d prepared for the race over the summer, my training wasn’t as consistent as it typically is for a marathon. I’d gotten in a few long runs, and I always included a weekly interval workout, but my mileage was lower overall and I hadn’t been adding in other workouts, like elliptical training or strength training, as I often do. Once I started my new teaching job, finding time for longer runs during the week was more challenging, and the tiredness that comes with any new job settled in. I contemplated switching to the half marathon, but I had set a goal at the beginning of the year to run two marathons in two countries in 2015. Knowing that the likelihood of running another marathon before the end of the year was low, I decided to stick with the full marathon in Vilnius. I hoped that my years of long-distance running, including a strong race in Riga in May, and muscle memory would help make up for some of the miles that I’d missed.

And then I got sick.

As can be expected when working in a school, where avoiding germs is impossible, I came down with my first cold in a long while last Monday, six days before the race. I tried to flush it out with fluids and get as much rest as I could, but it stuck around through the week and left me feeling fatigued and weak. By race morning, I felt better, but still not wholly myself. I packed tissues in my running shorts. It wasn’t the first time I’ve had to do that.

Before the Race

We arrived in Vilnius yesterday afternoon. The drive through the countryside in both Latvia and Lithuania was beautiful. Vilnius is smaller than Riga, but equally charming, in a different way, with its narrow, cobblestoned streets, beautiful cathedral and churches, and hills. Ah, yes, the hills. Another element I knew I wouldn’t be prepared for, having trained in flat Riga, but I’ll get to that.


Crossing the border from Latvia to Lithuania. There was no border check; the roads are like crossing from one U.S. state to another.

After we arrived and checked into our hotel, a cute, boutique of a place with an old-fashioned feel to it, we walked to the center of town to explore a bit and to pick up my race packet. We passed a succession of outdoor cafes, shops, and restaurants on one of Vilnius’ pedestrian-zoned streets, full of people out enjoying the cool autumn afternoon. There were grannies selling their hand-knitted mittens and doilies; artists selling their paintings; families with young children; and hipsters playing their guitars on the sidewalks. It was a nice scene.


Wandering through Old Vilnius. Photo credit: M.


Artwork for sale in Vilnius’ Old Town. Photo credit: M.

After packet pick-up, M. hiked up the hill to Gediminas’ Tower, the last remaining part of the Upper Castle in Vilnius, dating back to the 15th century. He wanted to get a panoramic view of the city. I, wanting to preserve my legs for the race, waited at the bottom with Frieda.


I got my bib and am all set to run! Photo credit: M.


My two favorites in one of Vilnius’ plazas.


The view from the top of Gedinimas’ Tower. Photo credit: M.


On our way back to our hotel, we stumbled upon this plaque, affixed to Vilnius’ City Hall. Photo credit: M.

We enjoyed a wonderful Italian dinner at Trattoria da Flavio, a darling little restaurant nestled in a quiet street near our hotel. Flavio himself, a Milan native, explained to us his cooking philosophy, which includes locally-sourced ingredients of the highest quality. We took him up on several of his recommendations, including a saffron risotto and a panna cotta topped with red currants.


A typical quiet Vilnius street on the edge of the Old Town.

Upon arriving back to our hotel, our bellies full and ready for a good rest, we discovered that the adjacent restaurant, whose main dining area happened to be directly beneath our room, was hosting quite the stag party, complete with horrible karaoke and music loud enough to make our walls vibrate. This went on until close to midnight, when it was finally quiet and we were able to sleep.

The Race

On race morning, I woke up feeling mildly better and ready to run, even though I knew it would be more slowly than usual. One of the great features of the Vilnius Marathon is the 9:00 am start, which allows for sleeping in a bit later than usual for a marathon. We got ourselves ready, I ate a banana, and then we headed down to Cathedral Square for the start.

A few minutes before the start, I met up with another Foreign Service Officer with whom I had communicated a bit through my Facebook running group. She lives in Vilnius and was running the half marathon (and, oddly enough, we learned, is from the same small town in the United States where M. grew up). We took a quick photo together and then headed to the starting line.


The scene in Cathedral Square just a few minutes before the start of the race. Photo credit: M.

The starting area was full of excited runners, most of whom were running the half marathon. The weather couldn’t have been better for a race, with cool-but-not-cold temperatures, partial cloud cover, and no wind. We listened to the Lithuanian national anthem, and I glanced to my left to notice the man standing next to me with tears in his eyes. Seeing him reminded me of how I often feel when I hear the Star Spangled Banner.

A few seconds passed, and we were off! I had no firm time goal in mind for today; I just wanted to enjoy the run and the scenery. The marathon course involved running two identical 13.1-mile loops. I figured that if I missed any of the sights on the first loop, I could see them on the second one.

From the beginning of the race, I felt tired and uncomfortable. I have learned in recent years, especially after having knee surgery, that I should never judge a run by the first or second mile, because it takes me a while to warm up. I plodded along, hoping, as is typically the case, that I would feel better as I settled into a comfortable pace. That moment never came, and with each mile that passed, I felt increasingly more uncomfortable. By mile six, I felt like I normally do at mile 15. My legs were heavy and stiff, and I could feel my sciatic nerves in both legs with each step, a pinching sensation that can only be described as a literal pain in the ass. I was surprised to see that my pace was holding steady at about 8:30 per mile, although I knew I wouldn’t be able to keep that up for more than a few more miles.

We ran along the city’s canal, through quiet residential neighborhoods, and up and down a few hills – none of which were terribly long or steep, but with no hill training in recent months, they felt much larger than they should have. We ran through a beautiful park, covered mostly by trees, and up and down one of the city’s main thoroughfares. I saw M. and Frieda at about mile 10, where I stopped for a few seconds to discard my snotty tissues and pick up some GU refills.


Here, I am running toward M. with my dirty tissues at around mile 10. This is probably the happiest I looked during the entire race. Photo credit: M.

My pace slowed a bit, and I started feeling some hot spots on my feet, which is usually a telltale sign that blisters are on the horizon. I contemplated changing shoes, but with that also comes the risk of making matters worse. I kept the same shoes.

With each step, I became increasingly envious of the runners who donned red bib numbers, as they were the half marathoners nearing the end of their race. I started to think about calling it a day at the half marathon mark, and I thought of all the ways I could justify quitting my race. I felt awful, I had been sick, I hadn’t trained enough, I felt awful… I felt awful.

And then I started to think about all the reasons why I shouldn’t quit, which ranged from superficial (What would I tell people? Would I still be able to wear the race shirt? Cuz’ it’s really cute.) to everything I believe about finishing what I start (If I quit,  I will always think about this day and wonder what would have happened if I had tried to continue. If I quit, I will always question whether I can overcome my own negative thoughts. If I quit, I know I will be SO disappointed in about half an hour.)

My thoughts then wandered back to last November, when I ran the JFK 50 Mile Run, and I reminded myself that in that race, at mile 16, I had felt pretty low, yet I made it through 34 more miles. I thought of my good friend N., who ran last year’s New York Marathon in a horrible headwind, and I knew that she had felt how I felt today, and she had gotten through it. And then I thought of one of my sweet new students, a 12th-grader who sent me an email on Friday to wish me good luck with the words: Although it is bad luck that you got sick BUT it doesn’t mean you still can’t do it. You can do it and you will. It is going to be okay.

Despite all of these thoughts, and knowing in my heart of hearts that I would head out for that second lap of the race, it took every ounce of strength I had to not stop running when I came through the chute at the half marathon mark… which was also ten feet away from the finish line. I saw M. and Frieda there, and I told him that my second loop could take a while (and it did), but he encouraged me and cheered for me. I had been running for just under two hours.


While I was running, M. snapped a few photos, like this one of the cathedral tower. Photo credit: M.

I tried to get it together, but by mile 14 I really had had enough. I slowed down and just tried to focus on putting one foot in front of the other. I passed through the same residential neighborhood and the pretty park with the pretty trees, and up and down the long thoroughfare, which somehow felt twice as long as it had on the first loop. I was struggling to maintain a 12:00 mile by this point, and I knew the rest of the race was going to be pretty miserable. I saw M. at mile 23 and sat down for a few minutes. He made it clear that he would support me if I wanted to call it a day there, and though it was tempting, I knew I wouldn’t quit a marathon with a 5K to go, even if that meant walking to the finish.

He walked with me for a little while, and then I started my shuffle again. Through Old Vilnius, up the big hill, down the big hill, and finally to the finish line. I crossed in 4:30:28, with my second half nearly 40 minutes slower than my first. I was so happy to be done, though you wouldn’t have been able to see it from my face. All I could think about at that moment was the agony of the previous four-and-a-half hours… the pain in my legs and my back and how tired I felt.

A volunteer gave me a bottle of water and another, a medal. I found M. and Frieda, and we sat down for a while as I collected myself. Then we began the very slow walk back to our car, which was parked about a mile away (more agony!). We finally made it there, got in, and drove back to Riga.


So happy to be finished with one of the hardest marathon experiences I’ve ever had. Photo credit: M.

During the drive, we had time to talk about the day and reflect on it a bit. Ten years ago, having a race day like today’s would have been crushing to me. I would have been upset about my time, and I would have felt frustrated and disappointed. I probably would have quit the race. I know, because I’ve done it before. Twice. Today, I feel proud. Really proud and really grateful, knowing that nearly 18 years after running my first marathon, and nearly eight years after having major knee surgery that I can still make it to the finish line, no matter how much I want to quit. Any day that I can finish a marathon is a great day, as far as I’m concerned, and a finish like today’s is an even sweeter victory than usual. Today wasn’t about time or performance; it was about finishing what I’d started and learning that the joy in racing sometimes comes after the race is over and the agony has faded away.

Thank you for reading!


I knew that if I didn’t finish, I wouldn’t feel right wearing the race shirt. And I really like it! Whatever keeps us motivated to get to the finish, right?

If you are considering running the Vilnius Marathon, I highly recommend it as a very well organized event with a scenic course and friendly volunteers. It’s a small race, with most runners participating in the half marathon, so the second half of the race can feel a bit lonely, but I don’t mind that so much. The only drawback might be the two-loop course, depending on how you feel about loops.

13 thoughts on “26.2 Miles of Agony in Vilnius

  1. I felt like so much of this post I could have written myself! I ran a very disappointing Half today complete with the same lingering chest cold, sciatic nerve issues, heavy legs…and a very hilly course for me too! One that I hadn’t properly trained for. So glad that we both stuck it through and didn’t walk off like we wanted to for a while. Congrats on another marathon under your belt — great job!


    • Thank you so much, Inga! I’m so sorry you had such a tough time today, too, but way to finish! I think gutting it out on a tough day makes getting to the finish more meaningful. I hope you recover well and start feeling healthy again very soon. When’s the next one? 🙂


      • WELL…if I’d responded promptly 😉 I would have said another road half — probably the Shamrock Half at VA Beach in March. BUT…in early October I started an Intro to Trails program (I’ve been running for 20 years and never spent time on trails!!) and just fell in love with running in the woods. I must have a screw loose because instead of the intended Winter Half (roads) program, I signed up for Winter Trails (snow, ice, hidden roots and all). The goal race is a trail marathon or 50k. Really not sure about that, but I’ve been bitten by the trail running bug!

        Liked by 1 person

  2. I am SO glad you will get to wear that really cute race shirt. I’m trying to figure out just why your story brought tears to my eyes, since I certainly can’t identify with your athletic accomplishment or the pain you endured. It must be the heart, the love, the grit and determination. That I can at least imagine. Congratulations!


    • Thank you so much, my friend! Now, suddenly, it is too chilly to wear the race shirt! But, I will have it ready for the warm weather again. 🙂 And yes, if anyone can identify with heart, love, grit, and determination, it is you! Thanks for reading and for your congratulatory wishes!


  3. Congrats on the race! I feel like I could have written the same post about my last marathon. Fingers crossed the next one feels better for both of us! Your blog is great! I am an EFM, runner, & English teacher too – nice to read about someone in the same boat. 🙂


  4. Running a marathon is anything but easy. It takes intense training, grueling workout’s and a heck of a lot of determination. Regardless of time, you should feel proud that you have completed a marathon! That speaks in itself louder then any other action. I currently am in training mode for my first half marathon and could use any tips if you’d like to share! Congratulations again on finishing a grueling marathon but then again isn’t that what makes it fun?


    • Thank you so much for your comments, Nick, and for stopping by my blog! I wish you all the best in training of your first half marathon. I think the most important thing to keep in mind as you train and on race day is that you do it because you love it. It doesn’t always feel comfortable, but crossing the finish line of a big race is a feeling that parallels no other. And yes, sometimes the grueling ones are the most meaningful! 🙂


What are your thoughts?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s