Autumn and Chex® Mix go together like pumpkins and Halloween, evergreens and Christmas. At least for me. The smell of Chex® Mix baking in the oven permeates the house and evokes fond childhood memories. I usually make several batches each autumn, and sometimes they disappear just as fast as I can make them.
Although it’s available ready-made in stores, in a variety of flavors, my tried and true favorite is the original recipe version, baked in the oven. Definitely not in the microwave. I just follow the recipe on the side of the box, with a few small tweaks to make it a true fall favorite.
Here’s what I typically put in my Chex® Mix:
4 1/2 cups Rice Chex®
4 1/2 cups Wheat Chex®
(I skip the Corn Chex® from the original recipe because it’s not my favorite and make up for it with extra Rice and Wheat Chex®)
1 1/2 cups mixed nuts
1 1/2 cups broken bagel chips (preferably garlic flavored, but plain will work too)… if you have trouble finding these in your grocery store, check the deli section.
1 stick melted butter
2 1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoons seasoned salt
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoons garlic powder (I add a little extra garlic if I am using plain bagel chips… no such thing as too much garlic!)
1. Preheat oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. In a large bowl, mix together the Rice and Wheat (and/or Corn, if using) Chex®, nuts, and bagel chips.
3. In separate small bowl, mix together the melted butter, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, garlic powder, and onion powder.
4. Gently pour the butter mixture over the Chex® mixture and toss with a large mixing spoon, ensuring that the Chex® mixture is evenly coated.
5. Spread the Chex® Mix into an ungreased 9 x 13-inch baking dish. Bake at 250 degrees for one hour, stirring the Chex® Mix every 15 minutes.
6. Remove the Chex® Mix from the oven and spread out onto paper towels to cool.