I got this recipe from my wonderful former boss and his daughter. I couldn’t believe how delicious it was when I first tasted it. The sweetness of the honey-lime dressing tempers the bitterness of the cranberries and, combined with the creaminess of the avocado, creates a party in your mouth. Hint: When fresh cranberries are not in season or are difficult to get, red seedless grapes or pitted cherries are a great substitute.
juice of one lime (about 2 tablespoons)
2 tablespoons + 2 teaspoons honey
1 jalapeño pepper, diced (remove seeds for a milder salsa)
1/4 cup diced red onion
3/4 cup fresh cranberries
2 ripe avocados
2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
salt and pepper to taste
1. Cut the cranberries in half and set on a paper towel to absorb excess moisture. Set aside while you prepare the other ingredients.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together the lime juice and honey. Add the onion and diced jalapeños.
3. Add the cranberries and chopped cilantro.
4. Shortly before you plan to serve your salsa, cut the avocados. Cut the avocado in half lengthwise. Remove the pit by carefully but firmly hitting the pit with a large knife and twisting it out of the fruit. Discard the pit. Using a small paring knife, score the avocado to the skin in a criss-cross pattern. Be careful not to break the skin of the avocado.
5. With a spoon, scoop out the avocado from the skin and add it to the rest of the salsa. The diced cubes should come out easily.
6. Gently incorporate the avocado into the salsa. Add salt and pepper to taste. Be careful not to mix too harshly, as this will mash the avocado.
Serve with pita chips or tortilla chips. Enjoy!